La Tomatina, nowadays a well-known event from Spanish ground. This tomato throwing festival was born at the last Wednesday of August 1945, and this year you can also join this event on the last Wednesday of August 2018. The tomato fight was invented by some young people who started a tomato fight with tomatoes from a market. One year later, these guys went to the same place again, and this time they brought tomatoes from home. In the early 50’s, the tomato fights were banned by the police. Later on the festivity was allowed again, because the people spoke. The tomato throwing festival, La tomatina, became a Festivity of International Tourist Interest by the Secretary Department of Tourism in 2002. It had become a very successful event.
Useful information you must know before entering La tomatina
This year, La tomatina will also take place in Buñol. The official organisation of this tomato throwing event created some rules to keep the event safe and awesome. It is possible to buy tickets online and don’t worry about transport and accommodation. You have to be a little prepared for tomatina, otherwise you’ll be buried in tomato smash. That is the reason why we wrote down some useful information you must know before entering La tomatina.
Perhaps you have not heard about this town in the region of Valencia before, but the tomato throwing festival will take place in Buñol. This town is located 40 kilometres from Valencia (city). Buñol has got around 10.000 inhabitants. Do you want to know where you can have typically Spanish food or what to do in Buñol besides La tomatina? Click here.
- La tomatina is held on the last Wednesday of August.
- Tomatina begins at 11.00 with a bang and ends with another bang at 12.00.
- Do not bring bottles or hard objects.
- Do not tear or throw your or others’ shirts.
- Squash the tomatoes before you throw them.
- Keep a safe distance of the lorries.
- Stop throwing tomatoes when you hear the 2nd bang.
- Follow security and staff directions.
- Backpacks, bags, cameras or any other object that could be the cause of harm are not allowed to enter.
For around 10 euros you can buy a ticket for La tomatina. You can buy these tickets online at the official website. It is also possible to buy combination tickets. Stoketravel offers combination tickets including drinks and accommodation.
It is possible to rent a car from Valencia to Buñol, but you can also travel by train. Antother option is to go by bus. Several companies will offer tours to La tomatina, like Stoketravel.
Beforehand, it could be of interest knowing that Buñol has not got a wide range of accommodation possibilities. It would be better if you book a hotel or apartment, a longer time before the festival takes place. Another option is to book an accommodation in Valencia, in case of that you have to think about transport (see transport above).
- Wear clothes/shoes which you will not wear again after La tomatina.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring swimming goggles, the tomato juice can be really painful for your eyes.
- Bring clean clothes for after the tomato throwing festival.
- There is a good train connection between Buñol and Valencia, so having an accommodation in Valencia is easy and possible.
- Do not bring stuff that are not allowed to take (see rules).
- Do not ensure that you will be the target.
- Turn your tomato-mood on!
¡Hasta pronto en Buñol y Valencia!